Sunday, March 13, 2011

Four Years.

On March 16, it will be four years since my dad passed away.  Four years.  I can't believe its been that long because it still seems like yesterday.  I can still see him in our house sleeping in his bed (snoring), walking past the computer room and seeing him play spider solitaire, on the couch reading because that's what he always did (he loved to read) and even at church during sacrament, singing (with his deep voice).  People have said that with time things will get better, it won't hurt as much (I guess that's a little true) it is better.  I don't cry and haven't cried every single day since the year he left, but EVERY day, not even one day will go by when I don't think about him.  Its like breathing. It's almost instinct that a memory or the thought of him (where he is at and what he is doing) comes into my mind.  Its been hard not having him here, being able to just talk and hear his voice.  Sometimes I wish there was a phone to heaven that I could pick up and call him just to hear him call me his "little one" if only that were possible.  I can't wait until we meet again, just to wrap my arms around him, but until that day comes, I know he is watching over me and my family.  I know he was able to meet and spend time with Ryder before Ryder came to this earth.  That in itself brings comfort and eases my thoughts and pain.  So to end this little post (because I can go on and on and the tears would keep coming like a waterfall) I want to share a poem I wrote for my dad after he passed away, which is the one that I read at his funeral.  And the reason I chose to write a poem is because my dad was a very poetic person. Not many people were able to see that side of him, but if you did, you would be amazed at the things he would write.

An Ode to My Father, From Your Daughter

By the hands of God
With his grace, he lifted you up
And took you from this space
You had been put to the test
With trials and all
What a fight you fought
Through it all
Loyal Servant of God

Never gave up
Always stood for what was right
You fought the good fight
You made the covenants 
To prove faithful
All of the blessings
Which you had recieved
This last blessing, oh the relief
We were all so pleased
Loyal servant of God

Oh how proud he would be
To see me now
The strength you have given me
To carry on
While you're gone
Until I see you again
Loyal servant of God

My father he be 
So Spiritual and free
He may lay at rest
And hope for the best
That I may follow in his steps
With courage, strength, and knowledge
To be the Daughter of God 
He expects me to be
As a loyal servant of God

My father you will always be
The covenants you kept faithfully
Waiting for me
I'll keep the promises I made
That our covenants may have permanency
For families are for Eternity

I LOVE YOU DAD

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Ashley...I'm sure it still must be so hard. That poem is so sweet and beautiful. I'm sure he's looking down and is so proud of you and your adorable family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I know your name is spelled Ashli, not Ashley. HAha I'm an idiot.

    ReplyDelete